Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Enthusiasm

Let's call this my version of Marley & Me. One of the most important things to take into any project and life is enthusiasm. It's not always easy for humans to maintain that enthusiasm throughout a project let alone life. Not so with my dog Sable. We live on a 7 acre property in Sedona Arizona. There are a lot of lizards on our property and Sable thinks it's her job to find them and kill them. We sort of reinforced that in her when we started taking her down to work at the warehouse each day. We got into this thing of asking her each day if she was ready to go to work. She knows what that means now and each day when we ask her she gets very excited. She'll start jumping up and down, running to the door and then running back to me and back to the door again. Now that's enthusiasm. As long as we're down at the warehouse she'll be out chasing lizards, her little tale stub just wagging like crazy. Funny thing is she rarely ever actually catches a lizard. Still she maintains her enthusiasm for work. You'd think she'd get discouraged, but I guess that never crosses her mind. She knows each day she's going to go to work and do her very best to do her job. Some mornings if we don't go down to the warehouse early enough she'll begin to come to my desk to get me. She'll lead me to the door as if to say come on, we gotta get to work. I ask her to be patient but she just can't contain her enthusiasm. Of course, Sable reminds me to do many things that I should do that I often forget. Before we go to work she always stretches right in front of me as if to remind me, don't forget to stretch. She leads by example, she can certainly show you how to be enthusiastic. Dale Carnegie teaches, "act enthusiastic, and you'll be enthusiastic". I believe enthusiasm is important to success and although it doesn't always seem to come as naturally to me as it does to Sable, I can certainly act enthusiastic until I get myself there. Thanks for the reminders Sabe, you're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment