Monday, April 13, 2009

Energy Positive/Negative

Once you've decided to take the leap, you're going to have to focus all your energy to get the project off the ground. Positive energy = all your thoughts and dreams of success. Negative energy = all your fears and doubts. You have to put the negative energy aside now, It's all got to be positive. I can get a little crazy about negative energy in my space at this stage of the game.
At 25 years old I owned 25% of the first grocery store I ever managed. The store had been owned by a grocery wholesaler that couldn't make it work, so we bought it for $1.00 + inventory. I had hired the employees and we had completed a minor remodel before re-opening the store. I had been working 120 hours a week for a month or so, but we were finally open. One day my wife, was coming into the store and she heard a Frito-Lay vendor, who had just made a delivery to the store, talking to some customers outside. Evidently, he had told them that if the grocery wholesaler couldn't make it work it was a pretty sure bet that we'd fail. Bells and whistles went off in my head when heard this. That my friends was negative energy in my space, and when I'm starting a project I do not tolerate it. The next morning I called the vendors boss and told him I didn't want him in my store anymore. He explained to me that if he couldn't deliver at my store they didn't really have a position for him. To that I replied, "that's really too bad". The problem with negative energy is that if you allow it to, it can seep in. It starts to affect your decision making and the next thing you know you've screwed the whole thing up. In this case I had eliminated the negative energy, the store was successful and is still operating today. I go to great lengths to keep negative energy away from my space when I'm starting a project. Okay, that's pretty simple. What happens when the negative energy is coming from your banker or partner? I'll talk about that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment