Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Welcome to my BLOG

This being my first posting on this blog, maybe I should start by answering what seems to me to be the obvious question. Why am I an entrepreneur? The answers are many. I come from a long line of entrepreneurs both on my Father's side and my Mother's. I have a proud heritage including the very successful and the not so successful. To me, this next story sums up the entrepreneurial spirit. In high school I was working as a Meat Cutter Apprentice in one of my fathers grocery stores. One day my Grandfather asked me how I liked cutting meat. I replied that I thought it might be a good thing to have to fall back on. With that, he told me this story. Evidently, when he was young he worked in a grocery store. In that particular store the owner was the meat cutter. One day, in the owners absence, they ran out of meat to sell. Although my Grandfather was not a trained meat cutter, he went ahead and started cutting meat to sell to their customers. Apparently he didn't do a very good job, because the owner fired him the next day. What he told me next was totally shocking. The next day, instead of going out and looking for another job, he began the process of opening a meat shop. As you might have guessed, the Butcher Shop was unsuccessful. I've never forgotten that story, and maybe that answers the question as to why I'm an entrepreneur. It's not a choice with me, it's who I am, it's like breathing, you just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment